Thursday, February 5, 2009

Green Living...

So I have been really trying to change they way we live and our affect on the environment by trying to live more green. I am on my fifth "green living" book and have found out a lot of very interesting facts. One for instance really caught my eye. I am trying to use only homemade cleaning products and get rid of all of the harmful chemicals that our in our daily cleaning products such as ajax, 409, electrasol and so on. 
Did you know that you could potentially save over $580 per year by switching to homemade cleaning products?! 580 DOLLARS! That is a lot of moola folks. That could be a weekend away with your husband, a really great shopping spree, paying off you bills. I don't know about you but I would much rather use my money to less harmful things for my health. 
For great tips and recipes for you to try if you want to go green pick up the book Green Up your Cleanup from your local library or just keep reading my random posts for recipes in the future. 

All-Surface Spray
Green Up you Cleanup by Jill Potvin Schoff
(This spray is effective on everyday dirt and grime, wipes up without leaving any residue)
1 16oz spray bottle
2 teaspoons borax
Hot Water
1/4 teaspoon liquid castile soap

Put the borax in the spray bottle, fill with hot water, shake until the borax is dissolved and then add the soap. Spray on the surfaces, let it sit a minute or two and wipe off with sponge. (you can purchase the borax and castile soap from your local walmart)

2 comments:

Nicky said...

I love that you are doing this. I always try to but, never do it right. I use vinegar and water to clean our windows and kyle hates the smell so i end up back with windex or dirty windows. ha! hope all is well!!

Ryan & Jessica said...

You can add a few drops of essential oils to off set the smell of the vinegar. It works pretty well. My favorite is lavender.