Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ugh! I have been so stressed out this week. I can't get hired as a surgical technologist unless I take the state exam and I can't take the state exam until I send in a form, wait 4-6 weeks to receive a letter to say that I am 'approved' to take the exam and then set up a date to actually take it. Ok it doesn't seem like that is stressful but I am starting to miss my job at the hospital and it would be really nice to be able to just start working at the job I love. It is not that I don't like my job at Pier One. Matter a fact, I love my job there. It is the most fun I have had at a job since I was 14. It doesn't even feel like work. But we are trying to save for a house and lets just say that the pay at Pier One is not going to cut it. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for the job. It pays the bills but that is all. Not much left for saving. 
Ryan and I have been working on our emergency preparedness kit as well as our food storage. We finally got our food storage organized. We had stake conference today and one of the brothers has asked us to prepare for an emergency by living off of our food storage for a whole week. We are going to start on tuesday. This could be a huge eye opener for us. First off...I have never cooked with the 10 can supplies and secondly, we may not have as great of a food storage as we think we do. I am looking forward to this project. I think it will be great for us. I'll keep you posted on how it went.
I am so excited! Tomorrow we are going apple picking at a local orchard. I have never done this before but have always wanted to. A friend from work is letting me borrow a cookbook of hers that tells you how to make jelly, jams, home-made apple pie filling, applesauce, etc. I am looking forward to expanding my cooking/food storage skills. I will post the recipes on here. Maybe my experience could spark y'all to try. 

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Hi-
I found your blog when I was googling food storage.

That's awesome that you are working on your 72-hour kits and everything. Good luck with your week of living off food storage - I'm sure it will be great!

Anyway, if you ever need any food storage tips, or recipes for all that food storage food, feel free to check out our blog!

Good luck!
Hannah @
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

S.N.D said...

aww..Jess I miss you..I am excited for your new experiment. I am actually in a disaster management class and I got the same challenge with food storage and 72hour kit...